Explosion in Val-des-Sources: the propane industry deplores the owner's decisions

The propane industry is shocked following the fire that razed two residences in Val-des-Sources on Friday, after an explosion caused by propane, since the owner obviously did not respect safety standards.

Explosion in Val-des-Sources: the propane industry deplores the owner's decisions

The propane industry is shocked following the fire that razed two residences in Val-des-Sources on Friday, after an explosion caused by propane, since the owner obviously did not respect safety standards.

• Read also: Explosion in a residential area: the Régie du bâtiment du Québec is investigating

Only one person was injured as a result of this canister filling operation which went wrong.

“It shocked the industry to see this amateurism,” said senior advisor at Prudent Groupe Conseil, Daniel Dancause.

The latter also sits on the technical and training committee of the Quebec Propane Association.

"I got loads of phones yesterday from people in the industry asking me, 'Daniel what the hell is that?' You know, there are plenty of standards. It is a very safe industry with few incidents. It is also shocking to see that this person has exposed the safety and health of his neighbors.

Several neighbors have confirmed to TVA Nouvelles that many people go there to have their propane bottles filled and that a tanker truck regularly goes there to refuel the site.

"It's not normal for there to be this type of activity in a residential area," Dancause said. Did the municipality know? Have neighbors filed a complaint?

He also wonders about the propane supplier: “It is surprising to see that this person has been supplied. The propane did not arrive there by chance, it is something on which the Régie du bâtiment will have to look into.

An inspector on site Tuesday

After confirming on Monday that the owners of the residence did not have a permit to store propane, the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ) deployed an investigator on site on Tuesday.

“I do not have all the information, but we know that there were propane tanks inside the garage when it is prohibited. Tanks should always be outdoors. Were there any other shortcomings in the storage and handling of propane? This is what our inspector will validate,” explained RBQ spokesperson Sylvain Lamothe.M. Lamothe confirms that the inspection will go back to the supplier.

The owner of the house where the fire started could face fines ranging from $1,200 to $18,000. Criminal charges could also be laid by the Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions.

Yorum yapabilmek için üye girişi yapmanız gerekmektedir.

Üye değilseniz hemen üye olun veya giriş yapın.

NEXT NEWS