The firm DesRosiers Automotive Consultants has published its report on automotive market trends in 2022. Here are some interesting data.
• Read also: Quebec motorists invited to shop for their gasoline
• Read also: Volkswagen is betting on people from here to shine in Las Vegas
• Read also: Rally driver Ken Block: a BRP ambassador dies in a snowmobile accident
According to figures from the firm, some 1.49 million new vehicles were sold in the country in the past year. That's down 9.1% from 2021, but also the lowest figure in nearly 14 years.
The firm estimates that sales, however, increased last December with 109,000 vehicles sold. By the same date in 2021, 103,000 had been sold.
Manufacturers that stand out
Among the car brands that attract the most customers, Ford remains at the top, followed by General Motors and Toyota.
Despite a slight decline in sales of 1.3% in 2022, automaker Ford sold 240,325 new vehicles. Its most popular model is the F-150 for a 13th consecutive year.
General Motors, which invests large sums in electric cars, saw its sales climb 5% in 2022, with 228,003 units sold.
For its part, the Japanese car manufacturer Toyota recorded an 11% drop in sales in the country. The company still sold some 200,204 units in 2022.
1. Ford – 240,325 vehicles sold
2. General Motors – 228,003 vehicles sold
3. Toyota – 200,204 vehicles sold
4. Stellantis (Jeep, Fiat, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Maserati) – 169,179 vehicles sold
Car manufacturers have been experiencing slowdowns in their production lines since the start of the pandemic, which has caused delays in deliveries.
Inflation would also be responsible for these historically low data.