A US defense official on Friday dismissed Russian allegations that the attack in Vinnytsia, which killed 23 according to Kyiv, targeted a meeting of the Ukrainian air force in this city far away from the lines of forehead.
• Read also: Americans and Russians resume joint flights to the International Space Station
• Read also: Ukraine receives its first delivery of M270 rocket launchers
• Read also: Russian opponent Pivovarov sentenced to four years in prison
"I have no indication of the presence of a military target nearby," the senior official told reporters on condition of anonymity.
"It looked like a building," the official added, confirming that Russia launched the missile strike Thursday from a submarine.
Counting the attack on Vinnytsia, he estimated that 100 to 150 Ukrainian civilians had been killed in Russian strikes in the past seven to 15 days, based on public information.
The latest assessment in Vinnytsia reports 23 dead, 29 missing and dozens injured.
The Russian Defense Ministry says missiles fired from the sea hit Vinnytsia's 'officers' house' as a meeting of the 'Ukrainian Air Force Command with representatives of foreign arms suppliers' was held there. .
The images published by the Ukrainian Emergency Situations Service show dozens of charred carcasses and a ten-story building devastated by the explosion.
According to the Ukrainian army, three missiles hit the parking lot and this commercial building in the center of the city housing offices and small businesses.