Net imports of natural gas to Spain plummet 27% in June

MADRID, 17 Ago.

Net imports of natural gas to Spain plummet 27% in June


Net imports of natural gas fell 27.2% in June compared to the same month last year, standing at 23,141 gigawatt hours (GWh), according to data from the Corporación de Reservas Estratégicas de Productos Petrolíferos (Cores).

Specifically, both imports made through the gas pipeline (-54.9%) and LNG (-22.1%) decreased. In the year to date, net imports of natural gas (159,715 GWh) fell by 18.8% year-on-year.

In the month, natural gas imports reached 28,622 GWh, with a drop of 20.2% compared to June 2022. 74.7% was imported as LNG and the remaining 25.3% through gas pipelines.

By geographical area, supplies from Central and South America increased year-on-year, with growth of 159.5% compared to a year ago, and Europe and Eurasia (1.8%), while those from North America fell (- 50.2%), Africa (-28.0%) and the Middle East (-0.9%). In June there were no imports from Asia Pacific.

By country, Russia was the main supplier of natural gas to Spain in June, with 7,673 GWh and 26.8% of the total; followed by Algeria -with 6,029 GWh and 21.1%- and the United States -with 5,290 GWh and 18.5%-.

In the accumulated annual imports of natural gas reached 204,709 GWh, which represents a decrease of -9.7% compared to the same period last year.

Meanwhile, natural gas exports increased by 34.1% compared to June 2022 and stood at 5,481 GWh, of which 91.1% were exported through gas pipelines and the remaining 8.9% as LNG.

For its part, France continued as the main destination for exports, with 3,958 GWh and 72.2% of the total; followed by Morocco -with 840 GWh and 15.3%-. In the accumulated annual exports of natural gas (44,994 GWh) increased by 49.7% year-on-year.