Iberdrola launches a company dedicated to reducing its carbon footprint with nature-based solutions

MADRID, 14 Ago.

Iberdrola launches a company dedicated to reducing its carbon footprint with nature-based solutions


Iberdrola has launched the company Carbon2Nature (C2N) with the aim of developing high-impact nature-based solution projects that reduce the global carbon footprint, improve biodiversity and promote a sustainable economy, the energy company reported.

The electricity company pointed out that this company was born from the conviction that investing in nature is "essential to act against the climate and biodiversity crisis, acting at the same time as a formula for creating sustainable value and profitability."

Iberdrola has launched Carbon2Nature through its startup program, Perseo, which includes more than 7,500 startups, including 'unicorns' -companies valued at more than 1,000 million dollars-, such as the manufacturer of vehicle charging solutions electric Wallbox and Stem, which offers smart battery storage solutions.

Carbon2Nature takes advantage of the potential of the carbon credit markets, promoting the development of its own projects or in collaboration with others that will generate high-quality carbon credits and that it will make available to its clients to support them on their way to net zero emissions. , as a complement to ambitious decarbonization strategies.

The company plans to capture and fix more than 61 million tons of CO2 in natural sinks thanks to the promotion of ecosystem conservation and restoration projects in more than 100,000 hectares, mainly forests, but also coastal ecosystems (blue carbon) or agricultural soils.

These projects will avoid emissions derived from their degradation, contribute to additional carbon sequestration and promote multiple environmental and social benefits at the same time. It will also launch initiatives to promote emerging solutions and sustainable production processes.

Its business plan focuses on regions in which the energy company chaired by Ignacio Sánchez Galán is present and where these nature-based solutions have significant potential, such that Latin American countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Peru and Chile will host 80% of its projects, while countries in the northern hemisphere, such as Spain, the United Kingdom or Portugal, will represent the remaining 20%. Carbon2Nature is already currently working on the development of projects in Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Chile and Spain.

The director of Carbon2Nature, Miguel Ángel García Tamargo, highlighted that in order to face the global challenge of climate change, the firm was created "with the ambition of causing a long-term impact at an international level."

"To do this, it is committed to diversification in geographies and projects and promotes collaborative strategies for its development with local communities and other actors, guaranteeing the highest levels of quality. We arrived at this new market with humility and with the desire to do different things, bringing all of Iberdrola's experience in sustainability to the world of solutions based on nature and the generation of carbon credits", he added.

Thus, all projects will be certified with internationally recognized quality standards, which will also validate their contribution to improving biodiversity, the well-being of local communities and other Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).