It's the end of an era: Paul Arcand, who has reigned supreme on the morning slot on Montreal radio for more than twenty years, will leave the helm of his 98.5 FM show in two years.
• Read also: Host Paul Arcand will leave his radio show in two years
The so-called "king of the airwaves" announced on air Thursday morning that he will not be renewing his contract when it expires in 2024
"I want, in two years, to move on," said the host after thanking his listeners for their loyalty and the "exceptional" results of the latest Numéris poll published the day before.
"I'd rather tell you directly because it might leak or come out wrong." I told my bosses that I intended to complete my current contract, which meant hosting the morning show for two years. But I don't want to renew the deal and I don't want to extend my contract. »
However, the hour of retirement has not yet come for Paul Arcand. The 62-year-old host stressed that he made this long-considered decision to develop other projects, including documentaries: "I intend to work, keep a microphone, do what I love, to do interviews, he detailed. I don't know how it will turn out. But it won't be part of a morning show. I have lots of ideas and I'm working on a series that I can't talk about yet. »
Changing of the guard
With the announcement of this departure in two years, a page in the history of Quebec radio is turning. Paul Arcand has been on morning radio for 32 years. He started on the airwaves of CJMS in 1990, before making the jump to CKAC in 1994, then to 98.5 FM in 2004. His show Since it is necessary to get up has been at the top of the listening polls for several years.
The early departure of Paul Arcand leaves a lot of time for the leaders of 98.5 FM to find the rare pearl who will succeed his formidable "morning man". In the immediate future, the station must also name a replacement (or a replacement) for Bernard Drainville, who recently left the animation of his daily program to return to politics under the colors of the CAQ.
We are currently witnessing a changing of the guard on the airwaves of 98.5 FM. Paul Houde, another big name at the station, announced last month that he will host his last show on June 19 after seeing his contract not renewed by Cogeco. He will be replaced by Elisabeth Crête next fall. Jacques Fabi has also confirmed that he will bow out in a few weeks after hosting the radio at night for 45 years.